Houston Association of Professional Landmen
Bringing experience together with ambition to fuel the next generation of energy leaders
The HAPL Mentorship Committee would like to thank all of our mentors and mentees on a great past year. We’d like to thank the mentors for allowing their brains to be picked, sharing valuable thoughts, and passing along their wisdom to the next generation of Landmen. We’d also like to thank our mentees for having an eagerness to learn, listen, and reach out to make themselves better Landmen. We are now looking on to this year and would like to invite all who would like to be a mentor or mentee to apply to become part of this great program. Please visit http://www.hapl.org/mentorship-program/ and fill out the application there if you are interested in participating and learning. The deadline for applications has been moved to October 5, 2017. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to reach out to the committee so we can get you a prompt answer.
- Bridge the workforce experience gap by transferring knowledge, resources and life experiences.
- Provide guidance, advice and assistance in molding future oil & gas industry leaders in a systemized and personally tailored manner.
- Create lasting relationships for both Mentors and Mentees through meaningful two-way dialogue and interaction.
- Increase HAPL member engagement by providing young professionals and students direct access to successful industry leaders.
ROLE OF A MENTOR
- Serves as a knowledgeable and enthusiastic role model; coaching, challenging and inspiring Mentees.
- Provides support, encouragement and wise counsel; confidentially listens to problems or concerns and offers feedback and advice.
- Serves as a resource person and confidant, sharing critical knowledge and information when appropriate.
- Recommends ways to develop specific job skills, effective workplace behavior and assistance in planning a career path or next steps.
- Provides resources to the Mentees such as business plans or facilitates introductions.
- Participates in Mentor/Mentee individual or group meetings and activities at agreed upon intervals.
- Maintains contact with Program Coordinator to discuss progress and provides feedback.
- Agrees to continue relationships with Mentees at the conclusion of the program, if possible.
ROLE OF A MENTEE
- Participates in all Mentor/Mentee activities.
- Commits to open and honest communication; listens to others.
- Shares goals and expectations with their Mentor.
- Develops mutually beneficial relationships with Mentors and other Mentees.
- Gives as well as receives feedback; seeks as well as shares information to gain knowledge, skills and insights from both Mentors and other Mentees.
- Open to future contact with Mentors and other Mentees.
- Will not engage in solicitation for personal benefit or advancement.
HAPL MENTOR PROGRAM GUIDANCE (suggestions only)
- Mentor will have the flexibility to appropriately personalize his/her own program.
- Mentor and Mentee should make contact at least once every 45 days.
- Mentors encouraged to introduce Mentees to a variety of seasoned and accomplished professionals within the industry, and to attend HAPL events with Mentees.
At the conclusion of the program, all participants will be asked to participate in a survey based on their role as a Mentor or a Mentee. Feedback will guide future program content and potential expansion. The goal is to ensure that the mentoring program meets the expectations of the participants and provides a quality, meaningful experience for both the Mentors and Mentees.
Mentor/Mentee relationships may continue unofficially at the participants’ discretion. Access and limits will be established by each Mentor based on their availability and other preferences.